Click this link to optimize Open Town Hall for screen readers Skip to Content
Open Town Hall
Open Town Hall

What questions do you have around the Carr Fire?

Sort by:

126 registered questions

Testing demolition debris

Janet Bianchin inside Redding City Limits
August 7, 2018, 6:27 PM

What requirements will there be for testing contaminants in ash and debris in residential neighborhoods? Will there be a centrally located disposal site set up to handle debris from the Carr Fire? What human health protections are required of demolition contractors to mitigate for air-borne contaminants (such as asbestos)?


Bubble grey black

City Manager's Office over 1 year ago

CalOES has the lead in debris removal (although there will be an opportunity to opt-out and do it yourself). The process is two phased - the first phase is handled by the Department of Toxic Substance Control and will remove household hazards from the property. The second phase is the debris removal, this is done by CalRecycle. Both phases will be done with proper containment and protection protocols.


Bubble grey black

Patricia Lind over 1 year ago

There is no way to prevent toxins from toxic ash of burnt homes and cars from going into the air even if water spray is used to decrease dust. I would suggest using a N 95 mask until debris is removed. To my understanding even soil samples will be taken to see if soil need be removed to to toxins. So air born toxins are not preventable but what is preventable is the contamination of our creeks, lakes and rivers by toxic ash once it rains. What we need is free wattles for homeowners to place around burnt homes to prevent runoff into creeks or storm drains.


To write a comment, your browser needs to accept cookies from

Read more >

Open Town Hall is not a certified voting system or ballot box. As with any public comment process, participation in Open Town Hall is voluntary. The questions in this record are not necessarily representative of the whole population, nor do they reflect the opinions of any government agency or elected officials.