We want your input on the light rail transit (LRT) route from Kitchener to Cambridge
At our last public consultation centre (PCC No. 3) the project team introduced a number of additional route alternatives to the public. After receiving and considering the public feedback from PCC No. 3, the project team has evaluated the additional route alternatives. A single route through the study area has been identified, presented here as the Project Team Preliminary Proposed Route (2018).
This route has been evaluated using several criteria in four categories:
- Economic environment (e.g. opportunities for adding more residences and jobs in existing urban areas)
- Natural environment (e.g. impacts to the plants and animals)
- Social/cultural environment (e.g. properties impacted)
- Transportation and engineering (e.g. integration with local transit service)
Your input today will be used to identify issues that may need further consideration in the preliminary design stage of the route.
Following PCC No. 4, the project team will review all feedback received. After collecting and summarizing the feedback from the public, a route recommendation will be presented to Regional Council for endorsement.
For a complete list of the criteria used to evaluate the route alternatives and identify the Project Team Preliminary Proposed Route (2018), please see the Public Information Package. To review all documents related to Stage 2 ION please visit Stage2ION.ca
You can also provide input at one of the following public consultation centres:
- Tuesday, May 8, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Holiday Inn, 30 Fairway Road South, Kitchener
- Wednesday, May 9, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Preston Memorial Auditorium, 1458 Hamilton Street, Cambridge
- Friday, May 10, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Hamilton Family Theatre, 46 Grand Avenue South, Cambridge
- 2011 – Region of Waterloo Council approves a staged approach to LRT from Waterloo to Cambridge
- 2014 – Stage 1 ION LRT Construction begins. Construction also begins on Stage 1 ION bus service between Cambridge and Kitchener
- 2015 – ION bus service launched
- 2015 – Stage 2 ION planning begins
- 2017 – Stage 1 ION LRT construction substantially complete
- 2018 – Stage 1 ION LRT is planned to launch service
If you require further information please contact:
Region of Waterloo
50 Queen Street North, Suite 830
Kitchener, ON N2H 6P4