Help design the playground at Sligo-Dennis Avenue Local Park!
The play equipment at Sligo-Dennis Avenue Local Park has reached the end of its life expectancy and we need your help designing a new playground!
The renovation of the playground is just one component of a larger park improvement project at Sligo-Dennis Avenue Local Park. The overall scope of work includes the following:
- New pull-in parking spaces will be constructed along Sligo Creek Parkway.
- The existing parking lot immediately south of the Park Activity Building will be removed and converted into a new playground and picnic area.
- The existing playground will be removed to become unprogrammed open space and enhanced stream buffer.
- The park’s pedestrian circulation will be improved to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
- Stormwater management facilities will be installed to treat runoff from impervious surfaces.
Click to enlarge and view Overall Site Plan.pdf
These improvements will benefit the park, park users and the Sligo Creek Watershed in several ways:
- The playground will no longer be in the 100-year floodplain of Sligo Creek. The playground will be less susceptible to flooding and the engineered wood fiber safety surface will no longer wash into the stream during heavy storms.
- By moving the parking spaces to the edge of Sligo Creek Parkway, the park’s overall impervious surface area will be reduced without losing any parking spaces.
- The playground and picnic area will be ADA-compliant to ensure everyone has access to these amenities.
- Improvements can be phased to allow all the park’s amenities to remain open throughout construction.
Montgomery County Parks needs your help in selecting the best design for the new playground at Sligo-Dennis Avenue Local Park. Parks staff worked with three different play equipment manufacturers to come up with three unique concepts for the playground. Below are descriptions and images for each concept. Please carefully review each concept and vote for your favorite. Before you vote, don’t forget to consult with the most important voices in playground design: the kids!
All play equipment shown below has been certified by the International Play Equipment Manufacturer’s Association as compliant with relevant safety guidelines. The three playground concepts are similarly priced and all occupy identical footprints.
The series of net-based structures create a circuit of obstacles for users to make their way through, choosing a new route of challenges each time. Race your friends through an obstacle course or see how far you can go without touching the ground. Nearly every surface on these structures is designed for play, allowing lots of kids to climb at once and creating endless opportunities for exploring. For more information on Gametime, visit their website at www.gametime.com.
Reaching as high as 25 feet into the sky, the two towers of the main structure are the focal point of this playground design. Users can choose from any one of dozens of possible routes to the top, taking on a new challenge with each climb. Transparency through the towers lets caregivers monitor activity from the ground. Elements from the large towers are replicated on a smaller scale to give younger park users the opportunity for an adventure more suited to their size and ability. For more information on Landscape Structures, visit their website at www.playlsi.com.
This natural-themed playground takes its cues from the wooded stream buffer of the adjacent Sligo Creek. The post-and-platform structures take the form of clubhouses perched high in the trees, creating a hiding place for pirate treasure, a treehouse for jungle explorers or a secret fort for woodland elves. For more information on Playworld, visit their website at www.playworld.com.
We Want to Hear From You!
Need more information before you vote? Did we leave a favorite piece of equipment out of the design? Leave a comment on this page or contact Aaron Feldman, Project Manager, at email@example.com or 301-650-2887 with questions. Due to space limitations and safety requirements, we cannot promise all requests/ideas will be incorporated but will do our best. Please pass this opportunity to vote on to your friends and neighbors!
The deadline for posting positions was 11:59 PM on August 14, 2019
Subscribe to receive important updates about Sligo- Dennis Avenue Local Park Playground.