Click this link to optimize Open City Hall for screen readers Skip to Content
Open City Hall
Open Town Hall

Have you heard any Provo City issues or rumors you want to have clarified?

Sort by:

40 registered questions

Steven Nordstrom inside North Timpview

February 27, 2020, 2:22 PM

Name not shown outside Provo Neighborhoods

February 15, 2020, 8:57 AM

Arthur Jared inside Foothills

February 10, 2020, 10:10 PM

R. PAUL EVANS inside Pleasant View

September 10, 2019, 5:54 PM

R. PAUL EVANS inside Pleasant View

June 7, 2019, 9:00 AM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

The current link is We will update this on the new Transportation Master Plan when it is approved by the Council.

Name not shown inside Rivergrove

June 4, 2019, 4:30 PM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

From Provo City's engineers: There are no current plans for any other road projects on Columbia Lane in this area. We can take a look at accident history in the area and see if there seems to be a particular problem that might need to be evaluated.

Karen Spencer inside Maeser

May 7, 2019, 8:08 AM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

First of all, we are so glad to hear that you and your family bike and walk to the grocery store!

There are two parts to this answer. Sidewalks often disrupt existing infrastructure (such as roads, telephone poles, or underground pipes), so building new ones can be a complicated and expensive process. Although Provo City can repair or replace existing sidewalks, the City does not install new sidewalks. New sidewalks are typically installed by the property owner/developer on whose land the sidewalk would pass. If there is a stretch of sidewalk in need of repair, you can call 311 to report it.

One of our policy analysts, Hannah Salzl, has offered to help if you want to check with particular property owners/developers to discuss plans for sidewalks.

The placement of crosswalks is determined by the City's street engineers. They follow AASHTO and UDOT standards for installing marked crosswalks. If you have specific intersections where you feel a marked crosswalk is needed, you can request we study the intersection to see if it meets the minimum requirements. The best way to request a study take place is to give engineering a call and they will get it on their list. Another option is to call 311 and request a study (the information will be sent to engineering).

** It's also important to note that state law allows for pedestrian crossing at all intersections, whether they are marked or not. The only exception to that is certain controlled intersections may direct pedestrians to cross on a certain side of the intersection instead of the other.

Name not shown outside Provo Neighborhoods

April 21, 2019, 2:25 PM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

We reached out to Provo City's Zoning Administrator for an answer:

Without knowing the particulars of the case, I’ll do my best to respond.

Section 14.34.080, Provo City Code, states: ( 1) It shall be unlawful to park, store or leave or permit the parking, storing, or leaving of any licensed or unlicensed motor vehicle of any kind or part(s) thereof which is in a wrecked, junked, partially dismantled, inoperative, or abandoned condition, whether attended or not, upon any private property within the City limits of the City of Provo for a period of time in excess of seventy-two (72) hours, except that two (2) or fewer such vehicles or parts thereof may be stored if within a building, or placed behind an opaque screening fence; and except that said vehicles and parts may be within a junk yard or automobile wrecking yard lawfully established pursuant to the provisions of this Title. For the purposes of this Title, any vehicle that is not currently licensed and insured to the minimum levels established by state law shall be considered inoperable.


(3) No trash, used materials, junk, household furniture, appliances, scrap material, equipment or parts thereof shall be stored in an open area. The accumulation of more than one (1) such item constitutes a junk yard as defined in Chapter 14.06, Provo City Code, and must be removed from the property, stored within an enclosed building, or be properly located in an M2 zone.

Our standard for outside storage is anything that is usually stored outside, such as a lawn mower, kids bikes, patio furniture, are not usually a problem but things like boxes, couches, etc. are a problem and should be stored inside. It can also be a problem if they have more than 1 or 2 lawn mowers or the property is just looking uncared for. Anything that we cite has to be viewable from the public right-of-way. Although I have been involved with some cases where neighbors have become so discouraged with someone’s back yard they have allowed us to view the property from their side of the fence.

We don’t utilize fines so I’m not sure where that information is coming from and we try to work with people on an acceptable time frame since the goal is to have the property in compliance and not to take them to court. Again, I’m not sure of the specific circumstances this person is talking about but I’m happy to talk with them.

Carrie Walls
Zoning Administrator
(801) 852-6406

Marie Sandberg inside Indian Hills

April 18, 2019, 9:55 PM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

Parking is handled separately from speed issues. Parking Enforcement said that parking on the street does not depend on whether or not there is a sidewalk in place. There are actually quite a few areas of Provo without sidewalks. Without seeing a picture, it is difficult to know if the presence of a bike lane would allow parking or not. Some bike lanes are placed in a way that still allows parking. You can contact Parking Enforcement by calling 311 (inside Provo) or 801-852-6000 if you would like more details.

We passed along your concerns to the sergeant over traffic. They are willing to direct their traffic team to places in the city where problems have been reported. We asked that they have the traffic team focus on the streets you mentioned to see if they can slow people down to safer speeds.

Name not shown outside Provo Neighborhoods

February 22, 2019, 7:47 AM

Bubble grey black

Answer from Provo City Council office

First of all, thank you for visiting and attending school in Provo. We understand your concerns about safety. It is something we regularly address, but it helps to know the limitations we are up against. Being homeless isn't against the law. We can't force people to get mental health treatment. Unless there is actual illegal activity, free speech rights (especially in public spaces) are guaranteed.

Provo City has several laws that can be enforced in some of the situations you described. The police can cite them for litter if they are observed littering. It is also illegal for people to pass items into or out of a car unless it is legally parked, so the police would be able to cite anyone giving money through their car window while in the street (as long as the police observe it happening). There is also an ordinance prohibiting aggressive solicitation (
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to solicit, in an aggressive manner:
(a) In a public area;
(b) In any public transportation vehicle or passenger terminal for such vehicles;
(c) Within thirty (30) feet of any entrance or exit of any bank or check cashing business or within thirty (30) feet of any automated teller machine during the hours of operation of such bank, automated teller machine or check cashing business without the consent of the owner or other person legally in possession of such facilities;
(d) On private property if the person has been previously trespassed from the property, or if the owner, tenant, or lawful occupant has asked the person not to solicit on the property, or has posted a sign clearly indicating that solicitations are not welcome on the property;
(e) From any operator or occupant of a motor vehicle that is in traffic on a public street, whether in exchange for: (i) cleaning the vehicle’s windows, (ii) blocking, occupying, or reserving a public parking space, or (iii) directing the occupant to a public parking space.
(This Subsection (e) shall not apply to services rendered in connection with emergency repairs requested by the operator or passengers of a disabled vehicle.); or
(f) From any person sitting in a parked motor vehicle, or in a public rest room, or other confined space.

(2) It shall be unlawful to solicit, in an aggressive manner, from a person at a location or time, not specified in Subsection (1) of this Section, that would place any person in a reasonable fear of, or at unreasonable risk for, injury to their person or damage to their property.

If you observe activity that violates the laws mentioned above, you can call 801-852-6210 to report it to police dispatch and they can send an officer to check on it. Our officers are also watching for any problems, but they can't be everywhere at once. The problem with panhandling has improved over the years and we hope it will continue the trend.

Some of the issues with lighting in the downtown area were due to recent construction for the UVX bus line. Now that the project is done, lighting has been restored and even improved in many locations. If you ever noticed that a street light is out, you can report it by calling 311 or by visiting to file a report online. The Provo Police Department also recommends taking the R.A.D. Basical Physical Defense for Women classes. BYU offers them:

Thanks for your concern and for asking some great questions.

Open City Hall is not a certified voting system or ballot box. As with any public comment process, participation in Open City Hall is voluntary. The questions in this record are not necessarily representative of the whole population, nor do they reflect the opinions of any government agency or elected officials.