Please share your opinions and thoughts about the draft plan for Community Spaces in Vestavia Hills
Community Spaces Plan: A Comprehensive Plan for Community Spaces in Vestavia Hills
Planning for the improvement of our community spaces in Vestavia Hills has been an ongoing effort of many different groups over the last several years. The City in partnership with the Vestavia Hills Parks and Recreation Board would like to introduce the most recent of such efforts, and solicit your feedback on the Community Spaces Plan.
The plan involves all areas of our City and is based upon the strategic drivers established in the 2015 Recreation and Athletics Master Plan:
- Re-position quality of life assets to reflect the Vestavia Hills brand and effectively recruit and retain families
- Elevate the quality of existing facilities to comprehensively serve the recreational interests of all members of the community regardless of age
- Increase the capacity of City athletic facilities to ensure that Vestavia Hills youth sports programs deliver a high impact and consistent experience that result in the athletic and personal development of all participants.
Projects to implement the 2015 vision have been included in this comprehensive roadmap for the future. The Community Spaces Plan includes projects across the City, including:
- improvements to the Cahaba Heights ball fields;
- development of the old Altadena Valley Country Club;
- various improvements to Wald Park, including the construction of a multi-purpose athletic facility, repositioning of and improvement to the swimming pool, ball fields, and tennis courts, and the addition of premier green space and park amenities;
- the purchase and renovation of space for a community center
This document is to serve as an executive summary for the Community Spaces Plan. Details of the planning efforts can be found in accompanying documents and presentations. Also, a series of town hall meetings will be held in November and December. If you cannot make those meetings please click on Vestavia Listens (Our Virtual Town Hall) that can be found on the home page of the City’s web site at www.vhal.org. This forum provides plan information as well as an opportunity for the reader to provide plan input.
Community Spaces Plan Components
The Community Spaces Plan is will result in improvements across the City, affect a broad range of activities, and provide recreational opportunities for all ages. The major plan components include:
- Various upgrades to Wald Park which will elevate its status as a regional park. Proposed upgrades include:
- Construction of a multi-purpose center that would include three multi-purpose courts (basketball, wrestling, volleyball, badminton, etc) and multi-purpose rooms. The proposed building (ranging from 60,000 sq feet to 45,000 sq feet) would be located at Wald Park next to a proposed new swimming pool facility.
- Construction of a premier green space to be located at Wald Park on newly acquired property and in the area of the current senior lodge.
- Construction of a new swimming pool, pool facilities, and pool amenities to be determined.
- Purchase of the building and property adjacent to City Hall (current Gold’s Gym facility) for use as a new community center focused on seniors and civic activities.
- Renovation of the Cahaba Heights ball fields.
- Recreational fields and trail development of the old Altadena Valley Country Club property.
- Various upgrades and amenity additions for tennis, softball and baseball programs in several of our parks.
- Upgrades and further investment in the athletic components of the old Berry High School property.
Execution of the Community Spaces Plan
We will being by soliciting community input and reflecting that input with any plan adjustments. There will be three town hall events and a month long opportunity for participation in the City’s virtual town hall. Upon completion of this community input exercise, the plan will be refined and submitted to the Vestavia Hills City Council for review and comment.
If the City Council adopts the plan, an implementation strategy will be put into place. At a minimum, the strategy will include funding recommendations and a timeline for program execution.
For Additional Information, Click On Links to Presentations:
This topic has 492 visitors and 67 responses.
That's 3.4 hours of public comment @ 3 minutes per response.