Which Dunwoody resident deserves to be the 2017 Sustainable Hero? Which Dunwoody business, organization or non-profit do you nominate as a 2017 Sustainable Hero?
Sustainability can mean many things to many people. The City’s sustainability vision statement is:
"Dunwoody models integrity, sustainable practices, and community spirit. Sound public policy and informed citizen and stakeholder actions can achieve an attractive quality of life, a robust economy, a thriving natural environment, healthy living, efficient government, and an engaged and informed citizenry."
- Who is your Citizen Sustainable Hero?
Do you, or does someone you know, have a strong interest in sustainability? Describe how the nominated individual or group has increased community engagement on a sustainability topic and inspired the community to improve. Do you know somone who has helped to:
- Increase recycling visibility or reduce waste
- Coordinate animal/fish or wildlife conservation
- Promote conservation education
- Champion green building design or greenspace
- Dunwoody Resident
- Advocate for and proponent of sustainability in the community
- Individuals can nominate themselves or others
- City of Dunwoody staff, elected officials, and Dunwoody Sustainability Committee members are not eligible
- What Company, Business or Non-profit is your Organization Sustainable Hero?
Do you know of a business or non-profit group making a strong impact in sustainability? Describe how the nominated business or non-profit organization has impacted its business/operation or the community. Do you know a Dunwoody company or business which :
- Has a sustainability-focused mission & vision
- Practices operational improvements to reduce waste to landfills, utilizes efficient lighting, etc.
- Promotes practices and activities to engage employees or the community on sustainability
- Works to reduce energy consumption by providing bike racks, transit shuttles, telecommuting options, etc.
In Dunwoody, the following guidelines are the essential principals helping to bring sustainability forward in our community:
- The City of Dunwoody strives to be a national leader in education, with an innovative and progressive community that fosters citizenship and supports continued progress through green infrastructure improvements and innovative policies to encourage sustainable choices.
- The City of Dunwoody seeks strategic stewardship, making efficient decisions that account for the impact on economic, social, and natural capital of our community. These choices will ensure that Dunwoody will continue to be a top city to live, work, and play.
- The City of Dunwoody aims to protect natural resources and help restore our global ecosystem, foster healthy living, and reduce the City's impact on the local environment. To that end, the City is committed to working with residents in order to create a self-sufficient community that benefits from food and fuel security, enhanced community involvement, and resource-efficient public and private facilities.
- Business located within Dunwoody city limits
- Advocate for and proponent of sustainability
- Businesses can nominate itself or others
PREVIOUS SUSTAINABLE HERO AWARD WINNERS:
2011 Mark Stulberger
2012 Tom Lambert
2013 Alan Mothner
2014 Denis Shortal (Marshall Weber 2014 Sustainable Student Hero)
2015 Tina Wilkinson
2016 Jack Warshal
This topic has 72 visitors and 14 statements: 11 registered statements and 3 unregistered statements.
That's 42 minutes of public comment @ 3 minutes per statement.