Help identify the top intersections that need improvements in Humboldt county.
The Department of Public Works is in the process of undertaking a massive project to install and upgrade curb ramps to current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) specifications. In order to prioritize the intersections to be improved, Public Works is seeking your input.
The scope of the project is limited to and covers all of the county-maintained road system. The scope of the project does not include roads that are privately maintained; or roads that are maintained by a city government, State government, Federal government, or Tribal government.
Public Works has prepared an initial priority list of intersections that is based upon the following criteria:
- Intersections within approximately one (1) mile radius of federal government facilities, state government facilities, local government facilities, transit bus stops, and employers.
- Intersections that were constructed or altered after January 26, 1992.
- Intersections on arterial roads. (Example: Central Avenue in McKinleyville.)
- Intersections on collector roads. (Example: Heartwood Drive in McKinleyville.)
- Intersections on local roads. (Example: Maplewood Lane in McKinleyville.)
Public Works seeking input on how to better prioritize these projects in order to best serve the community. There are several different ways to share with the county which intersections are most important to you:
1 - You can write out the intersections (cross streets) you want to see improved. If you're unsure whether your intersection is up for consideration, we have a list of nearly 700 intersections to choose from.
2 - We have also provided an interactive map that allows you to place pins on the intersections of your choosing. This option works best on desktop computers and tablets. If you have trouble using the map, please consider submitting a list of intersections.
3 - If neither option above work for you, you can also email staff or send your suggestions in via U.S. Mail to:
Humboldt County Public Works
Attn. Bob Bronkall
1106 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501
Public Works will be consolidating all of the input received and reprioritizing the list based upon the input received. The more requests for a particular intersection, the higher its final priority will be. The deadline to submit requests for consideration is June 1, 2018 at 5 p.m.