Document Your Community of Interest
Tell Us About Your Community
Help shape the future of Humboldt County’s Supervisorial Districts
Every ten years, U.S. Census data is used to redraw Humboldt County Board of Supervisor district boundaries. This ensures the districts are balanced for changes in population. The Redistricting Advisory Committee wants to hear from you on how these boundaries should be drawn. Complete this form to tell the Commission about your community of interest – keeping communities of interest together is a high-ranking criteria in the redistricting process.
What is a Community of Interest?
A Community of Interest is a group of people in the same geographically definable area who share common social and economic interests. Some examples of Communities of Interest are:
- Senior citizens
- LGBTQIA+ communities
- College students living near campus
- People who live downtown or in a neighborhood
- Residents who share a common language
- People that use the same transportation systems
What criteria will help the Redistricting Advisory Committee understand the importance of your community in the redistricting process?
When documenting your community it is important to address the following questions to assist the Redistricting Advisory Committee in the redistricting process:
Does your community have a shared culture, characteristics, or bond?
Is your community geographic in nature? Is your community able to be mapped? Is there density within your community?
Describe your community’s relationship with the County and how it is affected by policy decisions made by the Board of Supervisors.
The public can submit any testimony, but it is important to remember that your input can be best used if it addresses all three of these questions.
What You Can Do to Further Participate in the Redistricting Process?
- Provide your comments on your community of interest by completing this worksheet and return it by email to the County Administrative Office at email@example.com or drop off a hard copy to the County Administrative Office at 825 5th Street, Room 112, Eureka, CA 95501 or attend a public hearing and read your comments to the Redistricting Advisory Committee.
- Attend one of the Humboldt County Redistricting Advisory Committee public meetings, times and locations to be publicized on the website.
Draw your Community or create your own District Map using DistrictR!
Questions or comments?
In person: Call (707) 445-7266 to make an appointment
Mail: County Administrative Office: 825 5th Street, Room 112, Eureka, CA 95501
This topic has 176 visitors and 23 responses: 19 registered responses and 4 unregistered responses.
That's 1.2 hours of public comment @ 3 minutes per response.