The Los Alamos County Council will consider adoption of proposed ordinance 02-255 to increase electric rates. What is your feedback for the Council?
At the December 16th public hearing, the Los Alamos County Council remanded back to the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) proposed electric rate ordinance 02-252 that had been prepared based on a November 2014 Report from Leidos Engineering and approved by the BPU in November. Specifically, Council requested that Section 40-126 relating to the Power Cost Adjustment factor be removed.
Accordingly, a new proposed electric rate ordinance 02-255 was prepared by the Department of Public Utilities. Notable changes in the new ordinance 02-255 when compared to the previous proposed ordinance 02-252 are as follows:
- Removal of Section 40-126 relating to the Power Cost Adjustment
- One Increase to become effective in February, rather than the two step increase that was originally proposed - one in January and a subsequent increase in July, and
- A higher increase to the charge per kilowatt hour as originally proposed. The new charge per kilowatt hour incorporates a surcharge to establish a rate stabilization fund to insulate DPU against varying fluctuations in the cost of power.
Proposed ordinance 02-255 was heard by the Board of Public Utilities on January 21 where it was approved with a modification to reduce the charge per kilowatt hour by $0.0044 that had been designated to establish a rate stabilization fund.
A public hearing is currently scheduled for the County Council to consider whether or not to adopt the BPU approved modified ordinance 02-255 on February 17 at 7PM in Council Chambers located at 1000 Central Avenue, Los Alamos, NM.
This forum will explain:
- PROCESS FOR ADOPTION
- RATE SCHEDULE WITH PROPOSED INCREASES
- EXAMPLE BILLS WITH PROPOSED INCREASE FOR RESIDENTIAL AND SMALL COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS
- EXISTING AND PROPOSED RATES COMPARED TO NEIGHBORING COMMUNITIES ELECTRIC RATES
1. PROCESS FOR ADOPTION
A public hearing is scheduled on Tuesday, February 17th at 7 PM in Council Chambers, 1000 Central Avenue, Los Alamos, NM. County Council will consider at the public hearing whether or not to adopt proposed modified ordinance 02-255. If adopted, the ordinance will become effective immediately.
2. RATE SCHEDULE WITH PROPOSED INCREASES
3. EXAMPLE BILLS WITH PROPOSED INCREASE FOR RESIDENTIAL AND SMALL COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS
4. EXISTING AND PROPOSED RATES COMPARED TO NEIGHBORING COMMUNITIES ELECTRIC RATES
(Note that for comparison purposes, the Residential chart below is depicting 500 kWh as the monthly consumption.)
Outcome: Council adopted ordinance 02-255 at the Feb. 17th public hearing.
February 17, 2015Read More
This topic has 313 visitors and 0 statements.