I do not support this implementation plan that does not deal with the corruption endemic to VPD. It makes no sense to bring in new police offers to be trained by corrupt veteran police that bend their badges as trophies to the killing of citizens in cold blood.
1. No cop should be above the law. The first step in reform is to fire the "veterans" who feel "aggrieved" and think they should be able "to do their job" without oversight and accountability. Fire the Fatal 14.
2. Create full whistle-blower protection for current staff that would allow them to testify and assist in the removal of criminal cops that have no regard for the law and abuse their power: https://openvallejo.org/2020/07/28/vallejo-police-bend-badge-tips-to-mark-fatal-shootings/
"Current and former employees describe a department where bullies thrive, whistleblowers are dealt with harshly, and the pressure to shoot and kill civilians is strong".
"Some days I feel like I work with a bunch of thugs who take pleasure out of hurting people,” a current member of the department told Open Vallejo on condition they not be named." ....
“The cops who shoot someone bend the tabs on their badges,” he wrote on April 5. “Kind of like a notch on the bedpost. It’s an indicator to each other how many hoodlums they’ve shot. They think it’s funny.”
“Ask Whitney,” the message continued. “He knows all this stuff. It’s why he’s gone.”
3. Remove VPD from any interaction with the public where there is no need to respond with a gun. This includes homelessness, mental health, petty misdemeanor infractions including traffic stops. There is no reason that riding a bike without a headlamp should result in a death sentence due to 7 shots including the back of the head,shoulder arm, back, and 3 to the chest. https://www.timesheraldonline.com/2020/07/30/family-of-ronell-foster-vallejo-reach-settlement/
4. Require VPD officers and City Manager to carry their own liability insurance. Vallejo citizens should not have to subsidize death by cop for themselves or fellow citizens.
5. Refund VCUSD for lack of services by VPD during COVID-19 school closures. END School to Prison Pipeline by canceling this contract for school police. Hire counselors to replace cops.
6. Require deep psychological testing of all VPD officers yearly by independent agency.
7. Make all crime statistic data available in raw form: dates times, coding, number of officers on the call,etc. The current aggregate data in the Operations Bureau Report is highly dubious.
8. Sell 400 Mare Island Way and find another location for VPD station.
9. Get rid of Nyoff. He is padding his pension and spends our money in a manner that is sure to put us in bankruptcy again.
Once the above goals are met:
----Require minimal of 4 year college degree for new hires. Absurd that we hire GEDS for $100K salaries.
----Require Vallejo Residency for all VPD and CITY hires.
----Diminish the role of VPD in public Safety
Until the City deals with the rot in VPD and City Hall, the citizens of Vallejo will continue to be vigilant and oppose your every move.