What do you envision the Commission role to include?
The Commission on Culture and the Arts is a newly resurrected Commission. The purpose and duties as identified in the Vallejo Municipal Code, Chapter 2.32, described the purpose and duties of the Commission as follows:
Purpose: Culture should be the concern of all people, a common language. Neither articulation nor support should come from the privileged elite alone. The purpose of the commission on culture and the arts shall be to:
- Serve the city of Vallejo as the official voice for the arts in the community;
- Stimulate and sustain participation in and community support for the visual and performing arts. Serve as an advisory board in making referrals to appropriate groups, and coordinating arts projects for the benefit of the community;
- Identify what common problems in administration, promotion and/or audience development are shared by local arts organizations, and suggest how they might be solved in part through more cooperative effort.
Duties: The commission on culture and the arts shall:
- Promote area visual and performing arts groups;
- Participate in the publication and distribution of a calendar of cultural events;
- Organize periodic workshops of visual and performing arts leaders, both within the community and in cooperation with other communities throughout the area;
- Support the cooperative promotion of visual and performing arts in Vallejo and the surrounding area;
- Assist organized groups working in the fields of visual and performing arts with information, advice, and volunteer services;
- Advise the city council regarding public arts projects; and
- Record deliberations and decisions adequately to reveal considerations significant to such decisions.
This topic has 138 visitors and 26 statements: 21 registered statements and 5 unregistered statements.
That's 1.3 hours of public comment @ 3 minutes per statement.