What features in Vallejo do you think are needed most to create a healthier community?
Community health is influenced by a variety of factors, such as how easily, conveniently, and safely community members can walk and ride to daily destinations, obtain fresh fruits and vegetables, enjoy parks, open spaces, and scenic vistas, and access medical, social, and mental health services. In turn, these opportunities are linked to land use and development patterns – not just because of distances between homes and jobs, shopping, and services, but also because of barriers like fenced areas, dead end streets, missing sidewalks, or unpleasant surroundings that cause people not to walk or bike. Abundant and safe places for children to play, attractive public gathering places, welcoming streets and nighttime environments, community events and gardens, neighborhood associations, and personal interaction are all components that contribute to a healthy community. Learn more about the scenarios.
Land use patterns have the potential for creating a healthier community. Please consider the following eight criteria when considering the three Scenarios and the Preferred Scenario.
- Provide safe bicycling connections between housing/jobs/shopping/recreation
- Provide safe walking connections between housing/jobs/shopping/recreation
- Provide parks/open space within 0.5 miles of residents
- Improve public access to the waterfront
- Provide a full-service grocery store within one mile of residents
- Accommodate community gardens within one mile of residents
- Facilitate improved bus transportation to grocery shopping and medical services
- Provide places and social space for civic engagement
The deadline for posting statements was 11:59 PM on October 13, 2015
Subscribe to receive important updates about Community Health.